Re: Re ject user/ip number after a number of login retry attempts

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Karl Pearson <karlp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, December 21, 2009 1:30 am, Paul Lesniewski wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 3:16 AM, countryuser <gregrees10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>> I have had someone try to hack Squirelmail 1.4.15 web page by sending
>>> multiple user names 1 after another for an infinite time or until they
>>> eventually crack it, it is a DoS for other users trying to login. Is
>>> there
>>> some way after say 3 attempts/failures to login to reject/block ip
>>> number
>>> for say 1 hour/day before another retry attempt from same ip number.
>>> My
>>> setup here is Debian Lenny, Postfix and Squirrelmail 1.4.15
>>
>> 1) Upgrade.  1.4.15 is outdated and contains known security holes.
>> 2) Install and configure the Lockdown plugin, optionally the CAPTCHA
>> plugin and possibly the Restrict Senders plugin.
>
> You might want to look at fail2ban, which would be customizable for any
> TCP service on the server. Currently I use it for SSH, but I'm pretty
> sure it can be configured to watch failed logins for Dovecot, or
> whatever IMAP server you are using behind the scenes.

There's also information in the Squirrel Logger plugin on how to use
fail2ban against SquirrelMail login failures logged with Squirrel
Logger.

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team