SM in phishing attacks - obtaining passwords

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009, Paul Lesniewski wrote:
(re. Forcing a logout )

> You can (could have) stopped this almost right away with MTA
> rate-limiting or by using the Restrict Senders plugin.  The Squirrel
> Logger plugin could also have alerted you to the problem.  If the
> attacker got the password by guessing on the login page, you can use
> the Lockout and/or CAPTCHA plugins to block such attempts.

We only have ~1K accounts and haven't had this trouble before, so had
nothing in place to deal with it. I think our MTA rate-limits before
expanding recipient lists so didn't kick in, or not much.

As far as I can tell from webserver logs, there was no significant
attempt at brute-forcing accounts. At least, not recently.
Most of the accounts used had 8-character random passwords that we
assigned - unlikely to be brute-forced in any case, if the pattern I've
seen in SSH is any clue.

I was wondering what other admin's experience has been with compromised
SM accounts, and how spammers are able to obtain passwords. Certainly, we
see a lot of webmail phishing from .edu domains, although I don't believe
we ourselves have ever been previously compromised like this.

I'm still somewhat concerned; it's as if the spammers deliberately chose
to use some lightly-used accounts where the owners might not notice, and
perhaps have a pool of others available. It would be nice to assume that
the problem is all client-end - malware, conficker worm, or phishing -
but the small volume on these accounts implies a reduced chance of
receiving phishing messages or infected attachments compared to the
typical always-online user.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)