Problem with Data Directory location using symbolic links

Hello,

Our production environment has been running Squirrelmail 1.4.19, vpopmail,
Courier IMAP, PHP 5.2.9 on RHEL 5 without any issues.  We are running this
on two servers behind a cisco CSS load balancer and both with a
/home/vpopmail NFS mount  to a common shared storage so that there is only
one common set of Maildirs and one common location for vpopmaiI.
Squirrelmail is installed to /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/webmail.

Here are the pertinent config settings:

General Options
1.  Data Directory               : /var/local/squirrelmail/data/    (sym
linked to /home/vpopmail/webmail/data/)

# ls -l /var/local/squirrelmail/data
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 Jun 23 11:15 /var/local/squirrelmail/data ->
/home/vpopmail/webmail/data/

# ls -l /var/local/squirrelmail/data/default_*
-rw------- 1 daemon daemon 23607 Sep  4 13:43
/var/local/squirrelmail/data/default_abook
-rw-rw---- 1 daemon daemon   666 Aug 14 09:10
/var/local/squirrelmail/data/default_pref

Install Process:
1.  Renamed the Squirrelmail root web directory from webmail to
webmail-1.4.19
2.  Untarred Squirrelmail 1.4.20-RC2 and named it webmail
3.  Ran conf.pl from webmail/config and webmail-1.4.19/config in two
separate windows ensuring all of the entries are set the same.

Error:
1.  When logging in as user X, I receive the following error:

Error opening ../data/default_pref
Could not create initial preference file!
/var/local/squirrelmail/data/ should be writable by user daemon
Please contact your system administrator and report this error.

You can see above that the default_pref file is owned by daemon:daemon with
rw perms on both owner and group

I then tried to change the config to point directly to
/home/vpopmail/webmail/data/  and received the same error with the new
location identified.
I then removed the symbolic link and placed the default and user X pref's
and abook files in /var/local/squirrelmail/data and was able to login
successfully.
I don't like this because then the files will get out of sync between the
two servers behind the load balancer. I found the ".." in the error to be
somewhat interesting.

Thank you for your support !
Derek