Re: password with special characters

On Thu, September 3, 2009 2:21 am, Tomas Kuliavas wrote:

> mistel wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> my mail provider uses SquirrelMail Version 1.4.3a. I changed my
>> password
>> and the new password contains the special characters "\", "{" and "}".
>> Unfortunately, I can not log in with the new password.
>> I searched and found out, that squirrelmail has problems with special
>> characters, but is there an possibility, to log in with the new
>> password?
>> The problem is, that I can not reset the password by contacting the
>> administrator etc.
>> I thought about the character encoding (I use Mozilla Firefox 3.010
>> and
>> Ubuntu 9.04) and tried some encodings (utf-8, iso-8859,...) and also
>> other
>> Browsers (Konqueror and the Microsoft internet explorer 6) but nothing
>> worked.
>> Is there a chance, to use some "trick" to log in?
>>

> Character encoding matters only if you use non-ascii symbols. And if you
> did
> that, you should be unable to login with standard IMAP LOGIN command
> used in
> SquirrelMail by default.
>
> Test login process without SquirrelMail. Use telnet connection to IMAP
> or
> POP3 services.

To test, do this (IMAP):

telnet mailserver 143 (if unsecure; for secure login change 143)
A login $logname PW
01 select INBOX/mailbox name
02 fetch M# rfc822
03 logout
You can also try
03 list "" or "foldername"

FYI, here's the same for testing POP3:

telnet mailserver 110
USER yourloginname
PASS yourpw
QUIT

There are get and display type commands for POP3, too, but I can't think
of them off the top of my head.

have fun testing

Karl

> --

> List info (subscribe/unsubscribe/change options):

---
Karl Pearson
Karlp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Owner/Administrator of the sites at
http://ourldsfamily.com
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
 to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---
 Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have
 for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
 --Benjamin Franklin
---