Re: behaviour with attachments exceeding max file size

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:36:33 +0200, Tobias Hensel
<hensel.tobias@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm using Squirrelmail 1.4.19 with Apache 2.2.9 and php 5.2.5 with
>courier 4.0.4 an qmail-ldap 1.0.3
>I set the max Message size as described in
>http://squirrelmail.org/wiki/AttachmentSize to 8MB.
>When I write a mail, insert a recipient, write the content and then
>select a file as an attachment greater than 8 MB and click on Add the
>Site is reloaded without an error message and I am on an blank form for
>composing a Message and my previously written content (which i have not
>saved as a draft) is gone.
>Is this normal behaviour? Shouldn't it be better if the user gets an
>error message or at least should go back to his written message? The
>users do not always look how big a file ist before they try to upload it.
>Or is this a Problem with my Webserver or the Browser?
>Does anyone have the same Problem?

PHP doesn't give us an error when you exceed the max size allowed, and
last time I checked, if you do exceed the limit, often clears the
entire post out, which is the behavior you're seeing.  I see the same
thing on PHP 5.2.6.  Unfortunately there isn't anything we can do
about it, unless PHP has recently changed the behavior, and given us
some indiciation that a post was actually submitted.

--
Jonathan Angliss
<jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>