Re: permission problem

> I have managed to edit the config file and now there appears a login
> page. However when I give in my credentials I get the following message:
>
> Error opening ../data/default_pref
> Could not create initial preference file!
> /home/richel/mainwebsite_html/squirrelmail-1.4.19/data/ should be
> writable by user apache Please contact your system administrator and
>
> Permissions for both the squirremail directory as the data directory are
> set to 777.

Apparently not. According to the error message it's not possible for your
web server to write to your data directory. Are you sure that the
permission 777 is set on the right directory, i.e.
</home/richel/mainwebsite_html/squirrelmail-1.4.19/data/>?

It is very much more likely that this problem is caused by your file
system rather than by a bug in SquirrelMail.

Sincerely,
Fredrik