Re: Error 504 while sending mail

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Daniel Bejarano <danbejarano@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I receive this error when sending mail.
>
> Command parameter not implemented
> Server replied: 504 LOGIN mechanism not supported
>
> The hosting company is 1and1, their advice is to use in the config
> file smtp.1and1.com, which i used but still doesn't work.

Then your best chances for help are to ask them why it doesn't work.

> the configtest.php file looks fine
> (http://blogs-omsoul.com/mail2/src/configtest.php)
> The O/S is Debian 4.0
> The apache version is 1.3.34
> I have tried php 4.4.9 as well as php 5
> Squirrelmail versions I have used 1.4.18 1.4.17 as well as 1.4.15 this
> last one I downloaded from debian the
> first two were downloaded from sourceforgenet.
> All of them have been manual install.
> All of them the same error.

Did you run the configuration tool?  (config/conf.pl or just "configure")

If you can do that on your host, select "2.  Server Settings" ==> "B.
Update SMTP Settings" ==> "7.   SMTP Authentication" and let it
autodetect.  Chances are you need to set it to "none" instead of
"login".  You can also make this change by setting $smtp_auth_mech in
config/config.php

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team