Re: set origion of email

Please don't top post.  As you were requested to do when you
subscribed to this list, please READ the posting guidelines to learn
how to compose an inquiry that allows us to better help you.

>>>     I want to set the origion
>> of an
>>> email to the squirrelmail server.
>>>
>>     This is
>>> because we have a user (an important
>> one) who is getting
>>>
>>> an address from some
>> ISP and that address is being marked as SPAM
>>>    by
>> our  mail gates. So I want to "hide" that
>>>
>> originating address.
>>>   So it appears to come from the
>>> squirrelmail server.
>>>
>>>   My settings are
>> <SMTP
>>> SERVER:25>
>>>    Perhaps changing
>> from SMTP to sendmail?
>>>
>  I'm using squirrelmail 1.4.17

You should upgrade.

> Part of the header looks like this:
> Wed, 13 May 2009 10:31:55 +0300 (IDT)
>
> I want the <some
> ip> not to be used.
>
> I tried sendmail but it didn't help, at
> least not in the configuration I am using.

That Received header is built by SquirrelMail and added no matter what
mechanism you use to send.  It's there for very good reason.  IIRC,
there have been older versions of SpamAssassin that were incorrectly
flagging some SM-generated headers with high scores, but you don't
give us anything to go on -- try to get the headers from the message
at its destination with an explanation of why they are being tagged as
spam.  How do you know that the IP address therein is the cause?  Are
you just guessing?  Show us some proof.

If you want to obfuscate that header, try using the configuration
utility, option "2.  Server Settings", then "B.  Update SMTP Settings"
and then set an encryption key in "9.   Header encryption key"

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team