Re: locking down squirrel mail

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 6:25 PM, jm <jeffm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In the wake of spam attacks I'm attempting to lock down squirrelmail as
> much as possible while remaining usable for our customers (I work for an
> ISP).
>  So far I've added a captcha, but this doesn't seem to help as much as
> you'd think.

Make sure the backend you've chosen is a good one.  Some of them are
relatively simple to hack.  Note also you can use it in combination
with the User Information plugin to restrict the country of origin.

> In order to make it easier to at least track down the
> source of spam I which to lock the "Reply To" field to match the user's
> login. I've installed the force_prefs login and have set,

You're trying to detect the problem by looking at emails that have
already been sent out - you should fight the problem earlier.  Install
the Squirrel Logger and/or Restrict Senders plugins which can watch
and optionally lock down accounts that start sending out large volumes
of messages, especially with lots of recipients.  You can also employ
outgoing spam filters in your MTA and/or rate-limit your senders in
the MTA.

Then, turning off ability to edit email address in the configuration
should be sufficient (or even not that necessary).