Need to reduce/remove user options for display preferences

Hi there, I am new to SM (but an experience PHP programmer) and I searched through the plug-ins etc trying to find out how to reduce or remove options that are available to the end users.  I'm primarily interested in how to greatly reduce the amount of options available in 'display preferences'.

Our email system will be targeted to young people and we don't want them to be confused with all of the options in the display preferences.  We probably only want them to have the 'theme' selector.

Are there any plugins or system wide options for this?

Thanks in advance!