Re: Inbox contents suddenly disappears

On Nov 11, 2008, at 7:56 AM, Barry R Cisna wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> This is the first time this has happened this school year. One teacher
> lost all contents of her inbox. She is very comptuer savy,and I
> asked if
> she may have created an account in Outlook or Outlook Express on her
> laptop that would have pulled all the contents of her inbox off of the
> Squirrelmail server.

Certainly fits the symptoms and is the only cause I've ever seen in
that environment (we provide services to schools and libraries).
Perhaps she has it configured on her computer at home, a tech turned
on a machine she had used in the past or she has it configured on her
computer and doesn't realize it.

I don't use dovecot but I'm pretty sure it logs the protocol used to
access a mailbox and the IP  that accessed it. If you see POP(3), it's
a client like Outlook and likely to be your culprit. If that's the
case, and she doesn't know what machine it is, your only logical
recourse is to change her password to prevent further logins from that
client.

--
Marc