Re: New System, Login Fails

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008, Chris Hilts wrote:

> karlp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> My mail server crashed and I've had to provision a new one.
>>
>> I can get to my webmail login, but when I enter a known valid login and
>> password, I get the following:
>>
>> ERROR
>> You must be logged in to access this page.
>> Go to the login page [link]
>>
>> I suspect it's something to do with permissions, but nothing in
>> /var/log/httpd/access_log.webmail, /var/log/maillog or /var/log/messages
>> gives me any idea what's up.
>
> Make sure you can log in to the IMAP server using telnet.  If logins to
> IMAP work, then you can move on to debugging Squirrelmail.

Alpine on the same box works fine, but I've noticed that it gets prompted
for the password 3 times for each folder access up to the first 5 folders.
That's very strange. Also in /var/log/maillog, I see that Alpine is
authenticated using TLS even though SSL/TLS is turned off in
/etc/dovecot.conf

So, the problem isn't with Squirrelmail, but with Dovecot. Annoying. I
messed with it until I broke everything, including Alpine. Then put things
back together one setting at a time, with debug on and things are back
working for Alpine, with the extra OS-level password prompts, but not with
SQM.

You do bring up a point: Does IMAP login work? I'll do a manual telnet 143
and check that out.....

It works, without sending more password prompts from localhost to the
172.20.20.2 IP

It also works from another PC in the network using telnet. No extra
password prompts. So I did a bit of research and Alpine has a bug because
they hard coded it to think it uses RSH (now ssh) even if it doesn't.

Someone put in a log at the ubuntu forums that adding /norsh after the
server name would work. It didn't. So I looked for rsh-command and found
that if I put rsh-command=0 Alpine behaves as it should. I'm sure the bug
is there, but it issues a bogus command, and fails, so it just goes
straight to the IMAP login prompt.

But, Squirrelmail hasn't any such mechanism, so I'm now back to it being
the problem... I'm wondering if I've got something /etc/php.ini or
/etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf that I've messed up.

Looking there now....

Nope, no changes to php.conf...

php.ini is about the same. There's a few new things, but they have nothing
to do with authentication.

So, how do I go about debugging SQM?

Karl

> Chris