Re: requesting "On Read" and "On Delivery" receipts only work within my own domain...

On Aug 22, 2008, at 10:21 AM, Rafael Mahecha wrote:

> If a user requests an "On Read" and/or "On Delivery" receipt, it
> just works when the destination address is within the domain as the
> sender...

Squirrelmail Receipt requests are working fine then. The receiving
SMTP server and client are configured to respond to those requests.

> If the destination address is not on the same domain as the
> sender's, the email will go out fine, and arrive to the destination,
> but no request is ever requested nor receipted at the original/
> sender's  address.

Then that destination server and/or client do not respond to those
requests. This has been considered _normal_ and desired for at least
the past 5 years. If they did respond then it would be trivial for
spammers to a) verify valid e-mail addresses, b) know when, and by who
their messages were delivered and read. I'd say that most mail servers
have DSN's disabled at this point and that yours works is an anomaly.

> Is squirrelmail how does sq compose the mail when a delivery/read
> request is included? what can I check for?

Look for X-Confirm-Reading-To and Disposition-Notification-To headers
in the message at the recipient side.

--
Marc