Re: Attachments very slow when uploading

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Jeremy Mann <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a very interesting problem and I think its a Squirrel Mail problem.
> Beginning this week I noticed when you add an attachment to an email, it
> takes an extremely long time for it to upload, something like 5-10Kb/s. I
> can scp or ftp the same file to the same server and get 100Mbit/s here on
> campus.
>
> So then I thought its a network problem, so I put in a trouble ticket and
> had the campus IT guys check things out. Everything is fine and during

What did you/they check?  Did you try uploading a file using a normal
file upload widget on a test page?

> that time, I thought I'd try an external client like Apple Mail and
> Evolution to see if its an IMAP issue or what. Both Apple Mail and
> Evolution when attaching to an email, go as expected, instantaneous.
>
> There's nothing in Apache logs and Dovecot, so I'm at a loss here. I've
> checked everything and maybe somebody else here on this list has or had
> this problem.

SM does nothing special with file uploads.  It waits for the web
server to do the upload and simply moves it to the SM attachments
directory.  There is little chance it is a SM problem IMO.

> SquirrelMail 1.4.6 (and tested with 1.5.1)

Never use 1.5.1.  If using 1.4, you REALLY SHOULD upgrade.