Re: SquirrelMail exploits?

Michel wrote:
>> On Jun 24, 2008, at 3:32 PM, Brant Wells wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have recently noticed a steady stream of email leaving my server
>>> that appears to be from my Squirrel Mail users.  I upgraded from
>>> 1.4.10 to 1.4.15 in an effort to fix the issue.  It went away for a
>>> couple of days, but is back now.
>>>
>> Are you certain that these are not victims of phishing attempts? We've
>> seen attacks specifically targeting Squirrelmail users (and remote SM
>> users as evidenced in the spam we're blocking from the Internet with
>> SM message id's) to compromise their accounts and generate spam from
>> them.
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=A7B0A9F02975A74A845FE85D0B95B8FA0A599A74%40misex01.ena.com
>>

> hey, and how will that be possible what they say in this thread:
>
> always via SM (no other SMTP/ASMTP based attempts are logged)
>
> SM is no mta, so it can not send email ...

SM is an email client 'MUA', and it sends mail only through an MTA, so
you should have logs in your MTA that tell you what's going on.

We are seeing a lot of phishing lately too, and have had a customer
account compromised and used to send spam. Squirrelmail is easy to find
via google I suppose, so it's an easy target. That doesn't mean there is
a vuln in SM.

Ken

> michel

Ken Anderson