GPG hangs when creating new key

I hope this is the correct forum, if not let me know.

GPG plugin V2.0, SM V1.4.15, PHP Version 5, Apache 2, updates installed (I
think this is everything the guidelines said I should post)

Every time that I try to generate a new keypair, squirrelmail locks up
saying the page is loading and never finishes loading the page. I tried to
generate a keypair multiple times.  Then, I restarted apache.  When I tried
to generate a keypair again,  it stalled-ie, did not load a page telling me
that a keypair has been generated.
(hopefully this was detailed enough->everything else in squirrelmail is
functioning perfect).

Thanks.