Re: SMS message to mobile phone

> Thanks for the input. We are trying to make a script so that parents will
> recieve a text message of student grades. Just getting info needed to see
> what direction to take.

Here is some additional info that may be worth knowing.

The "native" interface for SMS is not email/SMTP.  The native stuff is
fairly robust, but the email gateways vary quite widely.  For example,
with my carrier (T-Mobile in the US), a text message submitted via their
web site or from another subscriber's phone will be delivered within a
few seconds.  A text message sent via their email gateway to the same
phone number will sometimes also be delivered immediately.
Unfortunately, it can also be delayed for hours or not ever show up.  My
experience with other carriers over the years has been similar.

If you don't want to keep up your own list of email address formats for
SMS for various carriers, there are 3rd parties who will take care of
that for you.  Many of those 3rd parties are free to use (unless your
volumes are big, which could affect you with your intended use).  For
those I've spot-checked, all the free ones use the various carriers'
email-to-SMS gateways, and that has the reliability shortcoming
described above.  A few of the for-pay services sound like they are
using the native SMS/MMS interfaces, but I don't really know for sure
since I didn't try them.  The reasons for this arrangement are obvious:
there are charges associated with the native gateways, whereas the
carriers allow free email-to-SMS as a convenience feature on a
best-effort basis.

The bottom line is that you are likely to find email-to-SMS a heck of a
lot less reliable and higher hassle than plain old email.  It's not my
place to wonder why student grades are so urgent that SMS is better than
plain old email, but you might want to consider allowing notification
both ways.  (In my personal environment, I have an email alias that
forwards to both my normal email mailbox and to my SMS address.)