Set squirrelmail cookie/login with a CMS

Hi everyone, this is my first message!

First of all, some relevant things of my configuration: I'm running
squirrelmail-1.4.10a on a SuSE server.

I'm a student in Pisa university, and I've spent the last two weeks
modifying php-fusion to install it on the student server at the
department of chemistry so users can use their account login on the
server (i.e. their e-mail login) to login in the CMS.
So: I'm not the administrator of the server, but i can ask the admin to
do everything I need.

Since not all chemistry students are so good with IT, and since I want
to promote this CMS as a virtual place of aggregation, I want to make my
users the more comfortable I can.
To do this, I'd like to let them do a single login to access both CMS
and webmail, so I want to make a SM login at the same time users login
to the CMS; i.e. I need to set the SM cookie (or whatever is needed)
toegether with the CMS cookie calling the CMS login function.

What do I need to do to do this? I've already copied three SM functions
(OneTimePadCreate, OneTimePadEncrypt, OneTimePadDecrypt) because I
needed them for other things. What else should I do?

thanks,
Iacopo