Re: DNS Config?

On Mon, May 12, 2008 10:36 pm, metamorph wrote:

> I registered the domain name.  Then, I went to change the DNS settings.
> Is it correct to change the A record source to the domain name and then the
> destination to the IP address of my mail server?  If so, why will it not let
> me put the IPaddress:socket/squirrelmail/src/login.php for the destination
> with or without a . on the end.
>
> Maybe someone can straighten me out on some basics such as fqdn and records
> (A vs MX).

See Jon's messages.

I'm not sure what you're doing. I'm not sure if you're actually installing BIND on
your server, or if your questions are more basic than that. You haven't been clear
on what you're doing.

An A record must point to an IP address. IPaddress:socket/squirrelmail/src/login.php
is not an IP address, it is a URL.

An Mx record must point to a domain name. That domain name does not have to match
that of the zone. If you want the mail server to differ from the web server, the Mx
record could point to a different domain, or even to a sub-domain of the zone and
that sub-domain could have its own A record that points to a different IP.