Any known bugs with reply-to going to wrong user?

We had a weird experience last week and the Helpdesk folks say it
isn't the first time. I apologize for having incomplete information
but I'm wondering if this rings any bells for anyone:

Webmail server: Squirrelmail 1.4.7,  Solaris 9, with imapproxy 1.4.6
(CSW build).
Imap server:  Solaris 10, Cyrus IMAP, and mailman 2.1.8
(I know, it's all old, but it hasn't been particularly broken)

So, a customer started to compose an email to a mailman list. Her
message shows a Reply-to header from a previous message to that list,
so I think she used Reply-To and changed the Subject. Something
happened at this point - mailman crashed, or the browser hung, not
sure what.  The user re-authenticated , reads her new mail, and starts
 a reply to a private email containing confidential information.
Again, I am not 100% sure of the sequence, but I believe she  had both
replies  open at the same time.

**BOTH** messages went to the mailing list. *Both* messages had
mailman reply-to headers showing that they were responses to an
earlier mailman message. The private email had the correct subject
from the private email, and the correct message body from the private
email , so I believe the customer when she says she replied to the
correct email. If she'd accidentally replied to the mailing list, the
message body wouldn't have the correctly quoted message body from the
previous email.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Because of the nature of
the private information that was released, I may be called on to
explain this and suggest a fix. "Don't compose two messages at once"
seems like overkill - a reasonable person might reasonably do that.

Any thoughts welcome.
thanks Betsy
PS interrogating the customer is not an option here.