Re: How many messages is squirrelmail designed to handle?

> Hey Tomas, thanks for the followup. My comments are inlined.
>
> > > I was wondering if there were any tests that the QA team
> > > contributers to squirrel mail run as to how many messages / size
> > > of a mailbox squirrel mail can handle.
> > >
> > > It seems that right around the 10k message mark milestone, users
> > > report their experience accessing squirrel mail gets 'slow'. I've
> > > researched this online and I found that this is resolved with
> > > some solutions mentioned online, namely the imapproxy software
> > > package or enabling thread and server sort in config.
> >
> > Thread sorting does not improve performance. It adds new option that might
> > be slow or cause issues on larger mailboxes.
>
> That's what I read online when people reported performance improvements so
> Thanks for clearing that up.
>
> So enabling server sort does improve performance, however?

If people sort mailbox ('sort' settings is not equal to 6), then yes. People can
load bigger sorted mailboxes with smaller peak memory usage and shorter
execution time, if server side sorting is enabled.

> > > After that 10k mark, I'm not sure what the limits are to mailbox
> > > sizes / number of messages that people encounter. I'm also
> > > curious to user's methods of resolution of the problem once they
> > > reach the next milestone.
> >
> > Missing bits of information.
> >
> > Used mailbox type? Used IMAP server? List of enabled SquirrelMail plugins?
> > Your 'uptime' and 'free' output on Unix or some statistics that show
> > CPU, memory and swap utilization on Windows.
>
> I was just wondering if there is some limit that people reach, or if the
> squirrelmail team does any stress testing of the software.

There are limits, but they depend on your setup. 2GB limit on mbox mailbox type
or max execution time and memory usage limits on some plugin combinations.

On courier from/to and subject sorting takes longer than date and size sorting.
It is possible that people will hit 30 sec execution limit on some large
mailboxes. Sorted by subject 20K mailbox loads in 18 secs and uses 5.2/10.6 MB
of memory. Date/size sorting takes only 1.5 secs. Unsorted mailbox loads in 0.9
secs. Sorted mailbox with 20 messages loads in 0.2 secs and uses 2.8/6.0 MB of
memory. Thread sorting of 20K mailbox hits 30 sec execution time limit. I am
still working on collecting enough messages to trigger execution time limit in
server side sort. I think I still have 12 secs to execution time limit and 42
secs to socket timeout.

If people are complaining that interface is slow, it can be caused by
a) your server load (cpu, memory, swap and network utilization)
b) used mailbox type
c) hardcoded delays in some plugins
d) suboptimal memory usage in some plugins
e) large number of mail folders
f) slow plugins

--
Tomas