Importing or transferring messages from one account to a new account/server

SquirrelMail 1.4.13
Courier IMAP (in a cPanel release)
maildir mail storage format
Apache, cPanel virtual web hosting account
(sorry, I usually provide more details of my setup, but I've just moved to a new
host and I don't have all their details yet.)

Hello all:

I'm moving from one host to a new host, new server. I need to transfer messages and
mail folders from my old IMAP server to the new server. I just tested one method,
using Horde webmail. Horde has a function that lets you download a mail folder or
folders, including all contained messages. Then you can login to Horde on the new
server and import all those downloaded messages. Really useful feature!

1. Does SquirrelMail have a feature like that, to facilitate saving or transferring
and importing messages from one server or account to a new server or account? I
looked through the various plugins, but didn't see anything that seemed to fit.

2. Is there a better method someone can suggest for doing what I want? Someone
mentioned using a local mail client (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.) to login to the old
mail account and download all the mail folders and messages, then login to the new
account and somehow transfer (drag and drop?) all the folders and messages to the
new account? Would that work, and would that be a better method?

Advice is welcomed, thanks.