Re: Squirrelmail hanging after submitting login

From: Paul Lesniewski <paul@xxxxx> - 2008-03-13 03:11
On 3/12/08, Brad Cathey <breadwild@xxxxx> wrote:
 > On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Paul Lesniewski <paul@xxxxx> wrote:
 > > On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 12:11 PM, Brad Cathey <breadwild@xxxxx> wrote:
 > > > New to the list, so I'm hoping to meet some helpful folks.
 > > >
 > > > Background: running dedicated server with Debian 4, Apache 2, PHP
 > > > 4.4.4, Squirrelmail 1.4.0, and exim4 as the mail program.
 > >
 > > Double check your version. We need the SM version, not that of the
 > > configuration tool.
 >
 > Sorry, SquirrelMail version 1.4.9a

Well I had a similar symptom the other day BUT MAY BE DIFFERENT PROBLEM.

I had upgraded from squirrelmail-1.4.10a to squirrelmail-1.4.13, and the
SAME symptoms.

I checked my Apache error logs, I had setup the virtual server so that
the access and error logs for webmail are in there OWN logfiles by using
the following in httpd.conf -

<VirtualHost  * >
     ServerAdmin [.......]
     DocumentRoot /var/www/htdocs/squirrelmail-1.4.13
     ErrorLog logs/webmail/error_log
     CustomLog logs/webmail/access_log common
     ServerName [.......]
</VirtualHost>

This creates logs in /var/www/logs/webmail

Use tail command (if available) on your Apache log files (error_log if
you have it) immediately after trying a login to see what errors exist.

Then I could see that the only error entries were PHP errors.

In *MY* case downloading compatibilty plugin and upgrading that
solved the problem.

 > > > Everything was working fine when out of the blue logging in hangs
 > > > after clicking submit on login. /redirect.php appears in the URI but
 > > > it just hangs.
 > > >
 > > > I'm a Perl guy, so not sure how to debug, even see where it is
hanging.

 > > So you should be familiar with server error logs. They are described
 > > in our mailing list posting guidelines, which surely you've read...
 >

 > First, and easiest, the system hangs and then posts the following to
 > the browser:
 > "ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server."

Can other programmes/systems access the IMAP server?
If so the problem is elsewhere.

 > Logs are showing:
 > Mar 12 16:07:36 Domainnamehere spamd[27339]: prefork: sysread(9)
 > failed after 300 secs at
 > /usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/SpamdForkScaling.pm line 561.
 >
 > Helpful? Thanks.

I doubt it. SpamAssassin should have nothing to do with logging into
an IMAP server.

Sounds more like mismatch between servers (web/squirrelmail/IMAP) a
corruption or update done on something.

--
Paul Carpenter          | paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/>    PC Services