Re: "Hidden" Messages

On Dec 31, 2007 8:35 PM, Jon Angliss <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi GordonM
>
> > I have just implemented a new installation of SquirrelMail.  I was surprised
> > to find that the Inbox of one of my accounts is showing 17 old spam
> > messages, all dated 31 December 1969.  I normally read messages from my IMAP
> > server (Mercury32) with Outlook Express and this shows the Inbox to be empty
> > ... no sign of these 17 spam messages.
>
> How do you have Outlook Express setup to check for emails?  If POP3,
> it could be possible it has seen them in the past, and as such, won't
> download them again.  If IMAP, it should show them.  The incorrect
> date is likely to be caused by an invalid date string in the "Date"
> header.
>
> > Maybe, these messages are structured in such a way that OE is not
> > recognizing message boundaries ... perhaps  as a result of the spammers
> > trying to get past filters.  Of course, it may be just a deficiency in OE.
>
> Even if you used IMAP, or POP3, your server handles the segmentation
> of messages. I doubt this could be some kind of "addition" to the
> spammers arsonal.
>
> > I am wondering if this sort of behaviour has been noted before.
>
> As I mentioned, check the method of checking in OE.

I agree, although the "problem" with message IDs could in fact be made
a little "prettier" on the SM side of things.  Apparently the OP's web
server does not report a remote port to PHP, which is why the message
ID starts with a ".".  If no one has objections, I will update the
code to skip the "." unless there is a port number in front of it.

  - Paul