Re: "message not sent" when there is no FQDN

On 19 Dec 2007 17:00:00 +0100, Helmut Hullen <Hullen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hallo, Paul,
>
> Du (paul) meintest am 19.12.07:
>
> >> when I try to send e-mail to a local user (p.e. root) who has no
> >> entry in my adress book and I write only "root" into the "To:" field
> >> squirrelmail refuses work with
> >>
> >>  FEHLER
> >> Message not sent.
> >> Geforderte Aktion nicht ausgeführt: Postfachname nicht zulässig
> >> Server antwortete: 553 5.0.0 <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Unbalanced '<'
> >>
> >> An: root
> >>
> >> ------------
> >>
> >> The form of the error message should be understandable also for
> >> people who can't understand german; squirrelmail gets the right
> >> domain and builds a correct address "root@xxxxxxxxxxxxx", but it
> >> doesn't produce the ">" at the end of the address.
> >>
> >> If the user has an entry in the address book squirrelmail seems to
> >> work with the informations from there.
> >>
> >> ---------------
> >>
> >> Is this behaviour an error of squirrelmail or my error?
>
> > I do this all the time and it works fine for me....
>
> Fine to read.
> But I find this mentioned behaviour on (at least) 3 installations of
> squirrelmail: 1.4.9a, 1.4.13, 1.5.1 - seems to be a bug. Where can this
> bug work?

A) *READ* the mailing list posting guidelines and follow them.  You
are missing any info whatsoever about how outgoing mail is sent.

B) Sniff the outgoing connection, see who is creating the malformed
address.  My experience is that it's not SquirrelMail

C) Incomplete inquiries get incomplete answers.