Re: SquirrelMail 1.4.2, courier-imap, attachments stop working, generating imap error messages instead. Imap works ok

"Stelios":
> I'm experiencing a very strange issue with Squirrelmail. It was
> working fine out of the box for three years, and now suddenly it started
> producing bizarre errors with attachments.

Computer software doesn't just "suddenly" break. You need to find out what
was "suddenly" changed on your system in order to be able to repair it.

> When I click on a message attachment , it will wait for 30-50 seconds
> and then begin to download a file with the CORRECT filename, but after
> it's done downloading, I can see that it is actually an HTML file with the
> error message:
>
> ERROR:
> ERROR : Unknown imap response.
> Query: FETCH 1451 BODY[3]
> Server responded:

Could it be that you updated or changed your IMAP server?

> --- example file I downloaded can be seen here:
> http://tinyurl.com/2f42mw
>
> Same error comes up some times in the message view page instead of
> showing the message body as expected. screenshot:
> http://tinyurl.com/2cfzyt
>
> I can still access all messages over Outlook/Thunderbird perfectly.
> I was able to telnet into the imap server and look at the content of
> the message in the mailbox with out any issue. No problems when I told the
> imap server to fetch the body text of the message -- very fast response
> and then it went back to a prompt.
>
> I'm wondering what squirrelmail is doing. The imap server seems to
> respond as expected to the fetch command.
>
> The only recent change we did was cleaning up qmail's remote queue of
> messages after some spammer managed to queue 5.000 messages for delivery
> from our server. we used qmHandle to clean up the queue.
>
> The issue was also discussed on SWSoft's forums here:
> http://forum.swsoft.com/showthread.php?p=105744#post105744
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated. my hosting co suggests that I
> upgrade my old 7.0.2 plesk but I would really like to avoid it
>
> Here are my specs.
>
> SQUIRRELMAIL version 1.4.2
> Plugins:     delete_move_next,     squirrelspell
> newmail,     html_mail, compatibility, abook_import_export, qotd_login,
> quota_usage
>
> PHP 4.3.2-37.ent (From plesk)
> APACHE Server version: Apache/2.0.46 2.0.46-32.ent
> SMTP: QMAIL 1.03-rhel3.build040408.00
> Linux: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3, SERVER C/P: Plesk 7.0.2
> IMAP SERVER: courier-imap-3.0.1-1psa.rhel3

I can't help you, but maybe someone else on this list can. However, I'd
like to take this opportunity to suggest that you upgrade your
SquirrelMail installation to 1.4.13 and reconfigure it from scratch. 1.4.2
was released 2003-10-01, which is more than four years ago, and contains
known security holes that can be exploited. Who knows, maybe upgrading
will solve your problem as well?

Sincerely,
Fredrik