Problems Sending Mail with Squirrelmail

I am experiencing two separates issues sending mail with Squirrelmail on the
same box but using different versions of squirrelmail.

Using 1.4.9 the first message that is sent sends the user to the error page
that states they must be logged in to access the page, but the navigation
side bar is still available. Clicking any link in the side bar works
correctly and all subsequent messages are sent correctly. The message is
sent despite the error.

Using 1.4.10

Under Safari after sending the email it stays on the compose page but
otherwise mail is sent normally.

Under FireFox It returns the following error:

[Server IP] has sent an incorrect or unexpected message. Error Code -12263

Per Mozilla.org this is an SSL error "SSL received a record that exceeded
the maximum permissible length."

The server does not have SSL enabled.

I am not using the OS X server default install of SM.

The machine is configured as follows:

Mac OS X Server 10.3.9
Apache 1.3.1
PHP 4.4.4
QuickMail Server 3.5.2 (It is a clients machine and I have no choice about
the mail server)

Apache config is OS X default
PHP Config is OS X default except for setting magic_quotes_gpc = Off

In attempt to resolve the 1.4.9 issue Increased the php session length

And set the following:

Session.bug_compat_42 = 0
Session.bug_compat_warn = 0

The configuration makes no difference in either issue.

I have searched through the mailing list archives and I am coming up blank,
Web server admin and PHP are sort of a second hat for me and not my area of
expertise so any help would be appreciated.