Re: error message language

Please try not to top-post

> >> I was wondering if there is a better way of changing the error messages,
> >> than to editing the templates (like the messages found in
> >> functions/display_message.php).  I have had to extend the message to be
> >> bi-lingual,  and thought I would check in, since what I am doing is a
> >
> > What does a "bi-lingual" error message look like?  SM has a
> > fully-gettext-compliant translation system.  If you change the
> > language in the SM interface, error messages will be automatically
> > translated into the current interface language, unless that
> > translation set is incomplete, in which case you should help finish it
> > off.
> >
> > Go to:  http://squirrelmail.org/wiki/DocumentationHome  and then
> > search for "Internationalization".
>
> An example snippet ~ line 102 in display_messages.php -
>
> '<a href="'.$base_uri.'src/login.php" target="'.$frame_top.'">'.
>         _("Go to the login page / Retourner &aacute; la page
>
> These where put in to display english/french messages to users that may
> or may not be logged in, and may or may not have selected an appropriate
> language.

As long as you have the French locale installed and working, the
user's browser setting should be enough for SM to show the correct
translation even when the user is not logged in.  When the user IS
logged in, any message will be shown in their language of choice (as
long as your server supoprts it).

>  The messages themselves seem to be hard coded in the templates.

So I guess you didn't read the links I bothered to look up for you.
They are "hard coded", but ALL strings in SM are wrapped in a
translation syntax.  There is -40% to 0% chance that strings will ever
be changed to include more than one language in one string.  If you
feel like you need to do this, GO READ the links I sent you and create
your own translation set that includes translations into "bilingual"
format.