Re: Upgrading OS and Squirrelmail

On 5/25/07, Bo Lynch <blynch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am running version 1.4.6 on a Fedora Core 2 installation. Over the
> summer I will be upgrading to either centos 4.4 or centos 5. I would like
> to be able to keep all user data. If I copied the user ID's out of
> /etc/passwd and /etc/group, the entire /home, /var/spool/mail, /var/mail,
> and the /usr/share/squirrelmail would this work. Assuming that I match
> user and group ID's upon copying them over. Or is there a better appraoch
> at accomplishing this?

Technically, this is NOT a SquirrelMail question.  It depends on your
MTA and IMAP implementation.  The question that would be SM-specific
in this situation is how to preserve SM user data, which is to back up
your data directory or the database where your user prefs are stored
(in which case, you STILL may have some data in the data directory
that you should migrate).

 - Paul