Re: SquirrelMail Too many messages problem.

Benoit,

Im facing the same problem as you do 2 days ago, all i do to fix this
are (and a li'll bit story if the moderators please me, and sorry if
it not allowed,will be no more) :

1. My squirrelmail web server is installed on the same machine with
proxy (squid), since too many request for web browsing from users to
the Proxy (500 Users), it seems that it makes some instability of
network connection between squirrelmail and IMAP server (i use
CourierImap), so i decide to move my squirrelmail server to another
machine.

2. Before the squirrelmail moved to another machine, im testing the
connection between my squirrelmail machine to IMAP server using telnet
and got this result :

telnet imap.mydomain.net 143
Connection closed by foreign host.

Seems that my IMAP terminating the communication without any
confirmations..i try it again and again..i try for 10 times..and only
got 4 reactions that IMAP serve me well..so i guess theres no problem
with the squirrel...

3. I move my squirrelmail to another machine, first time it was
running fine, but in the morning..again..i got the error messages
"Connection Droped by Imap Server", so i try to telnet to my IMAP
server again, and same result with my old squirrelmail machine, so i
think the problem is on the courier IMAP setting.

4. users in my company had 1 GB quota for their mail storage, many
users did'nt want to use POP3 to access their mail, they choose to use
outlook with IMAP or webmail with Imap, so it makes their mail
concentrated in one storage, any single user stored their emails about
10.000 - 30.000 mails on their mailbox, so it makes hardwork for
squirrelmail (and the webserver may be) to fetch the mail headers (im
still scare of this kind of problem since the mail were increased on
every users mailbox, i don't know about squirrelmail limitations on
fetching mail headers).

5. Back to the problem, since i think this problem was from the Imap
settings, so i change the setting of my imap configurations (may be u
can change it as your conditions need):

bash#vi /usr/local/etc/imapd

//im adding as follows :

MAXDAEMONS=400
MAXPERIP=7
IMAP_IDLE_TIMEOUT=60
IMAP_ULIMITD=131072

Save and restart the imap.

reasons is :

1. i have 500 users so i make "MAXDAEMON=400",
2. My users always leave the web without "signout" and then, they back
to their computer and open another windows of browser, and login into
their mail again, silly things is they also use Outlook Express at the
same time, so i gave them 7 oppurtunity to do that with : MAXPERIP=7
3. I think 60 second is enough to timedout and idle user on :
IMAP_IDLE_TIMEOUT=60
4. I Read some manual on the configurations file so i add : IMAP_ULIMITD=131072.

I don't know about what exactly what im do, it may harm the system, or
even crash the system..i don't care..since im too stupid and busy...i
wish members on this mailinglist may help me to explain the weak that
may rise about this threatment..BUT MY PROBLEM IS GONE NOW, and NO
MORE "CONNECTION DROPPED BY IMAP SERVER" again...and my manager smile
again! and i can sleep well again.

hope this can help.

regards,

Chole