What is the best apache/php configuration if you only need squirrelmail?

Hello,

Apache and PHP are very powerful and flexible tools. I have the
_feeling_ that the way they are built and configured in the standard
rpm, deb or tgz packages of most Gnu/Linux distributions is an
overkill, or a potential security hole, for a system which must only
run SMTP/IMAP servers and squirrelmail.

Am I right? If yes, what are the best tips, tricks and configuration
options (for apache and php) to make such a system as secure as
possible and as light on the cpu as possible?

Note: personally, I am only interested in things which can be done
maintaining the standard binary packages provided with each distro, in
order to keep the convenience of not compiling anything, getting
automatic updates and so on, but even more advanced tricks are
interesting, of course.

TIA,
	Marco
--
The best way to make everybody love Free Standards and Free Software:
http://digifreedom.net/node/73