Re: [Possible Spam] Re: abook_group: Where's the config file?

>>> Am I missing something simple, or is the plugin tarball or
>>> documentation incomplete?
>
>> Documentation is incomplete.
>
>> abook_group_database.php
>> ----
>> if ( $addrbook_dsn == "" ) {
>> include_once(SM_PATH . >
> 'plugins/abook_group/abook_group_flatfile_database.php');
>> } else {
>> include_once(SM_PATH .
>> 'plugins/abook_group/abook_group_PEAR_database.php'); } ----
>
>> Address book database schema is described in INSTALL file. If you
>> store personal address books in database ($addrbook_dsn is not
>> empty), plugin uses db.
>
>> I strongly recommend not using current plugin version. SquirrelMail
>> 1.4.9 and 1.5.1 have code that allow to use custom address book
>> backends. If you want to have address book entry with multiple
>> recipients, you can use standard address book or write custom address
>> book backend that provides nicer way to handle multiple recipients.
>
> Currently, our users are using the standard address book with
> comma-separate lists of e-mail addresses to simulate groups, stored in
> a MySQL database.
>
> What you're saying, then, is that we should just continue to use this
> method, and I should update the table schema to allow for more than
> 255 characters (to accomodate long lists of e-mali addresses)?

Yes. Use existing address book backends or write address book backend that
works nicer with multiple addresses.

abook_group plugin is a hack. it takes extra space in compose window and
is not managed in addresses page. Current SquirrelMail address book code
allows better address book controls. If something is wrong in SquirrelMail
address book code, try fixing it instead of using hack that does not have
a future.

abook_group plugin has only one advantage. It does not store email
information and uses data from other address book backends. If user
updates  address book and does not change nickname, plugin uses updated
information.

Technically plugin can be updated to use address book hooks, but internal
plugin format has some flaws and you might be in better position if you
don't depend on old plugin format.