Re: problems with exotic alphabets....

>>>I just came accross a problem while using squirrelmail with non roman>>>alphabet.>>>>>>As far as I understand this problem, squirrelmail "writes" the messages>>>in HTML using the unicode code for a carracter: long vowel "a" in Hindi>>>is coded आ for instance. But somewhere, the carracter "&" is>>>HTML-ized : & so, the person who receives the mail, read  आ>>>instead of the Hindi carracter because the source code is: आ>>>>>>Is there somebody to give a clue on where the transformation of "&" in>>>"&" is done? Browser? Script php? Anywhere-else?>>>>>> If you use characters unsupported by character set used in html page,>> your>> Gecko engine based browser sends them as html entities. Change character>> set used by translation.>> I don't understand too much this answer: if I use thunderbird to send a> message (tb is gecko based as far as I know), I can read this message> correctly in both thunderbird and squirrelmail.>> If I use squirrelmail to write, I can see the "exotic" carracters while> I write,
Sorry. Recheck what you are saying. You can't see characters unsupportedby your translation's character set in compose window. SquirrelMail 1.4.9aconverts unsupported characters to question marks or displays them in rawbroken form.
You can type those characters, but they are not part of email you arereplying to. If you type Chinese characters in stock SquirrelMail Frenchtranslation, they will be send as html entities. You will send 道instead of 道. If you reply to email written in Chinese, 道 will bedisplayed as question mark or as broken 8bit text.
> but once the message sent, the code corrupted : why "&" is> translated as "&" when it is sent by squirrelmail and not by> thunderbird? There is some inconsistency here: "&" is also an escape> carracter in html and should not be translated in html entity...
SquirrelMail does not create html emails by default. All emails are inplain text and ampersand is displayed as &. If plain text email containsआ, it is displayed as आ and not as आ. Plain text emails don'tsupport html entities in message body.
If you use symbols unsupported by character set used in form, Mozillabrowsers send them as html entities. SquirrelMail does not convert them tohtml. Your browser does that when you submit form information. I don'tknow how IE reacts to unsupported Chinese or Urdu symbols in forms, but itconverts Arabic and Russian to other character set.
> Is squirrelmail not at all used in China for instance? (This is the> origin of my question: some Chinese people complain that they cannot use> the squirrelmail I installed on a server they use).
Yes, you can use SquirrelMail in Chinese. Chinese SquirrelMail just doesnot work out of the box on some loose PHP install you throw it. CJKinterface has more requirements to PHP install and has some quirks.
If you want to use SquirrelMail in CJK environment, you should followrecommended and not minimal requirements. mbstring support is required.chinese will need php 4.3.0+ mbstring extension. extra decoding libraryneeds recode or at least iconv support.
Chinese SquirrelMail works, if you use chinese or utf-8 based translationsand admin installs extra decoding library to handle other character setsin utf-8 based translations. Chinese Simplified translation should workwith GB2312-EUC symbols. Extended GBK and GB18030 symbols are notsupported in Chinese Simplified translation. UTF-8 emails are displayedcorrectly, but not supported if you reply in Chinese Simplifiedtranslation. UTF-8 based translations can read Chinese charsets andreplies work, if extra decoding library can handle used Chinese characterset.
Possible issues - wrapping of text without whitespace, downloadedattachment names in IE and lack of chinese support in SquirrelMailencoding functions. Also most of distributions don't enable recodeextension in PHP.
Please keep conversation on mailing list. I will ignore personal repliesor forward your replies back to mailing list.
-- Tomas

-------------------------------------------------------------------------Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier.Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimohttp://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642--squirrelmail-users mailing listPosting Guidelines: http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/MailingListPostingGuidelinesList Address: squirrelmail-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Archives: http://news.gmane.org/thread.php?group=gmane.mail.squirrelmail.userList Archives:  http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_id=2995List Info: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/squirrelmail-users