Re: How can't I see ip address in a log file when anyone login to a mail address on the webmail?

> I use qmail1.03, vpopmail5.4.x, courier-imap4.0.x and squirrelmail1.4.6.
>
> My imap server settings as below in config.pl;
>
> IMAP Settings
> --------------
> 4.  IMAP Server            : localhost
> 5.  IMAP Port              : 993
> 6.  Authentication type    : login
> 7.  Secure IMAP (TLS)      : true
> 8.  Server software        : courier
> 9.  Delimiter              : detect
>
> it works well. Yet I have a problem. I could not see ip addresses in log
> file, when anyone login his/her mail address over the webmail. Actually I
> can see the ip address of mail address when it connect via any mail client
> program (for instance iexplorer ...)

The IMAP server log logs the IP address of the client used to access the
server. When you're using a webmail client, such as SquirrelMail, the IP
address of the webserver will be logged. That's the expected behaviour.
However, if you check your webserver logs, you'll find the IP address of
the users who access the webmail client.

SquirrelMail adds the IP address of the users browser in the headers of
any outgoing mail, which will help you see from which IP address the mail
was sent, should you ever have to investigate an abuse issue (probvided
that the party complaining forwards the complete headers).

Sincerley,
Fredrik