imap problem ?

I'm using the newest stable version of SquirrelMail 1.4.9a and I have a
problem with logging in.

I'm using Debian and UW-IMAP.

My config.php looks as below:
$imapServerAddress      = 'localhost';
$imapPort               = 143;
$imap_server_type       = 'uw';

Everything works fine if user's mailbox (/var/spool/mail/username) is
empty. In this case user can log in, see folders list, browse each of them
and send a new message.

But when mailbox is not empty - and for instance contains just one single
message then it takes much longer to log in and at the end I get
the following errors: "ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server", "Query:
SELECT "INBOX"" and depending on the value of '$imap_server_type' option -
also "UNSEEN RECENT MESSAGES".

In the log file there is no additional errors and it looks fine:
Jan  4 00:44:42 host imapd[1039]: Login user=janusz host=localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]
Jan  4 00:44:42 host imapd[1039]: Logout user=janusz host=localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]

As I see each imapd process which is started in the time of logging in
starts also 'mlock' process.

janusz   16307  0.0  0.1  4544 1792 ?        S    00:39   0:00 imapd
janusz    8638  0.0  0.0  1664  564 ?        S    00:41   0:00 /usr/bin/mlock 3 /var/mail/janusz

Searching trough the mailling list archives I found only one solution:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=7633712
[...]
I have noticed an interested thing; Only one user account is able to view
the INBOX messages correctly and all the other user accounts can get into
INBOX only if there are no messages for them in var/mail/ . That means all
the users except one can properly logon only if INBOX is empty. Does this
observation lead us to any useful pointer?
[...]
I have set the "Secondary groups" to "wheel" for all the user accounts and
miraculously everything seems working good now. All the users are now able
to view INBOX properly.
I am not sure why that has fixed the problem. Any clues?

--

But it seems that it doesn't apply to me (in my Debian distro I don't have
wheel group and setting up 1777 permission to the mailbox doesn't help)

I would be very grateful for any ideas what's the reason why I get those
errors...

Greetings,
Janusz