Cannot change password: ERROR:Connection refused (111)

Environment:

FC 5

poppassd-1.8.5.tar.gz

squirrelmail-1.4.9a

change_pass-2.7-1.4

I cannot change password: ERROR:Connection
refused (111)

     installed squirrelmail and the above packages.I am
     trying to setup my environment so that users are can change their passwords
     via squirrelmail web interface.

What I have done:

1. When I try to change the
password via squirrelmail (change password option) I get the following error
messages:

ERROR:Connection refused (111)

2. When I do “telnet localhost 106”
I get

Trying 127.0.0.1...

telnet: connect to address
127.0.0.1: Connection refused

telnet: Unable to connect to
remote host: Connection refused

3.  I installed poppasd in /usr/sbin/poppassd

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 18719
Jan  3 00:00 /usr/sbin/poppassd

4. I have the following entries in
/etc/pam.d/poppassd

(-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 255
Jan  3 10:57 /etc/pam.d/poppassd)

#%PAM-1.0

auth       required     /lib/security/pam_unix.so shadow nullok

account    required
/lib/security/pam_unix.so

password   required
/lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3

password   required
/lib/security/pam_unix.so use_authtok nullok

5. I have a /etc/xinetd.d/poppassd
file

(-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 366
Jan  3 10:58 /etc/xinetd.d/poppassd)

service poppassd

{

        disable                 = no

        socket_type             = stream

        port                    = 106

        wait                    = no

        user                    = root

        server                  = /usr/sbin/poppassd

        #server_args            = poppassd

        only_from               = localhost

        log_on_success          += USERID

        log_on_failure          += USERID