Re: SM optimization

On 12/22/06, Fredrik Jervfors <jervfors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have had a problem today to open an email from Charlie Root (FBSD), I
> > think because this email was around 550KB in size (apparently too big to
> > handle it). SM simply displayed blank page in the right frame each time I
> >  tried to open this email to read it. The only think I was able to do
> > with it was to select the checbox, click forward and send it to a MUA.
> >
> > I use Dovecot server and have selected in the config file to optimize SM
> > for Dovecot use. Is there anything else I can do to make SM display
> > relatively large emails? I use SM via LAN so slow web access is not a
> > problem here.
> >
> > Any suggestions appreciated. Actually there was another email that I
> > could not open today. But this one was generated by someone using hotmail
> > account, it had (as I later checked with a MUA) tons of email addresses
> > in CC and was about 7 MB in size so I did not care about it. But reports
> > from the system is something that I would like to be able to read. I
> > didn't have such problems before but the reports were about 330KB on
> > average.
>
> Did you try the suggestions at the pages below?
>
> Sincerely,
> Fredrik
>
> http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/BlankPage
> http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/LowMemoryProblem
> http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/SquirrelMailPerformance

Only time I've ever seen problems like that, I think it ended up being
an anomalous Apache problem (solved by recompiling; was not clear the
difference in compile options).  But my first stop would be the same
suggestions that Fredrik made.  There is no technical reason in the SM
code that would prevent such messages from loading.  Also, note that
SM *IS* a MUA.

-paul