Re: Problems with encoding of e-mail addresses

> We are having some problems with how squirrelmail process some e-mail
> addresses when they are encoded in this way:
>
> =?US-ASCII?Q?Martinez Guerrero=2c_Rafael?= <r.m.guerrero@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I don't think that spaces are allowed in the encoded string, so make sure
that the software sending you these mails encode the e-mail addresses
correctly. Unfortunately I don't remember which RFC is violated. Which
software is sending you this? Which SquirrelMail version do you use?

> This line is the samme as this one:
> "martinez guerrero, rafael" <r.m.guerrero@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> When squirrelmail 'replay to' one of these encoded addresses it
> translates them to:
>
> "martinez" guerrero, "rafael" <r.m.guerrero@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> As you can see, two addresses. The first one with the e-mail part like
> 'guerrero'. In our system, users can send emails to other users at the
> university only using the username (without the @domain part).
>
> If you are unlucky, a user is replaying to the address in the example
> and 'guerrero' exist in the system as a valid username, the user will be
> sending two e-mails, one to the rigth address (r.m.guerrero@xxxxxxxxxxx)
> and the second to a user with a username like 'guerrero' (that in most
> cases they do not know)
>
> Can we do anything to change this behavior?. Suggestions?. Other e-mail
> clients translate this encoded addresses in the rigth way.

I think you mean that other e-mail clients allows decoding of invalid
encoded e-mail addresses.

> PD.- We can ask users to verify the TO header before they send an e-
> mail. But this is real problem, users do not verify the TO header when
> they are replaying to an e-mail.

Sincerely,
Fredrik