Attachments sometimes unreadable when downloaded with SM

SquirrelMail 1.4.6
PHP 4.4.4
UWIMAPD (IMAP4rev1 2004.357-cpanel)
mbox mail storage format
Apache 1.3.37
CentOS 4.4
Our webserver runs as nobody.
IMAP Server Address: 127.0.0.1
SMTP Server Address: 127.0.0.1
Server side sorting is enabled
Server side thread sorting is disabled
register_globals are off for my installation, but they are on for the rest
of the server

.htaccess entries for SquirrelMail directory:
php_value upload_max_filesize 14M
php_value post_max_size 25M
php_value max_execution_time 180
php_value max_input_time 180
php_flag register_globals off
php_value memory_limit 70M
SecFilterEngine Off
SecFilterScanPOST Off
Many plugins, including: Auto Complete; Folder Synch; Select Range; etc.

Sometimes attachments e-mailed to me are unreadable if I download them via
SquirrelMail. Usually these are JPG or graphics files such as AI or PDF. I
use the "Download" link in SM to save them to my PC.

Most attachment files work fine through that process, but periodically I
find that some are unreadable when downloaded via SquirrelMail. The files
are either corrupted or the header info is mangled such that the graphics
or image viewer can't load them. The problem is specific to certain
messages or attachments, even though other messages and attachments of the
same type from the same sender may open okay.

When this problem occurs, I then download the message using MS Outlook and
save the attachments from there. Those files are readable.

What might cause this inability to view attachments from certain messages
in SquirrelMail?