Bad request LOGIN and SquirrelSpell problems

I searched the documentation and the mailing lists, but didn't find an
answer to these questions. I'm hoping someone here has seen something
similar.

Setup: SquirrelMail 1.5.1, PHP 5.1.6, UW Imap 2004g built with SSLTYPE=
sslunix.nopwd, Apache 2.2.0, Solaris 10/Sparc. SM is configured for
"uw" imap server. imap is run from inetd with -1 for max processes
(which I suspect means unlimited).

Problem 1: Users are occasionally seeing the message "Bad Request:
Missing or invalid arguments to LOGIN". This does not happen all
the time, and usually trying again later it works ok. (This happened
to me for the first time this morning.)

Problem 2: SquirrelSpell module is failing when running ispell with
the error "I tried to execute '/opt/sfw/bin/ispell -a', but it
returned:" - with no additional text. I saw the Wiki comment about
forcing SS to use temp files, so I tried that but it didn't make
any difference. I tried running the command by hand from the
command line and it works fine (and returns a 0 error code).

	-Bill