Squirrelmail configtest

hello,

i have a small problem wiht my squirrelmail configuration.

this are the result from configtest:

...      (all other checks are OK)

Checking internationalization (i18n) settings...
     gettext - Gettext functions are available. You must have
appropriate system locales compiled.
     mbstring - Mbstring functions are available.
     recode - Recode functions are unavailable.
     iconv - Iconv functions are available.
     timezone - Webmail users can change their time zone settings.
Checking database functions...
     PHP Pear DB support is present.

    *ERROR:* database support not present!

my environment:

- debian sarge and some backports packages
- postgresql 8.1
- apache2 / php4
.... php4-pear 4:4..3.10-16
- squirrelmail 2:1.4.4-9
- perl 5.8.4-8sarge5

the config.php

$addrbook_dsn = 'pgsql://user:passwd@xxxxxxxxx/dbtable';
$addrbook_table = 'address';

$prefs_dsn = 'pgsql://user:passwd@xxxxxxxxx/dbtable';
$prefs_table = 'userprefs';
$prefs_user_field = 'username';
$prefs_key_field = 'prefkey';
$prefs_val_field = 'prefval';
$addrbook_global_dsn = 'pgsql://user:passwd@xxxxxxxxx/dbtable';
$addrbook_global_table = 'global_abook';
$addrbook_global_writeable = false;
$addrbook_global_listing = false;

..
my question is, why is not db support present? is any additional package
needed?