Re: Sendmail vs. SMTP - - pros, cons? follow-up

On 10/10/06, Alan in Toronto <Alantoronto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> SquirrelMail 1.4.6
> PHP 4.4.4
> UWIMAPD (IMAP4rev1 2004.357-cpanel)
> Apache 1.3.37
> CentOS 4.4
> Our webserver runs as nobody.
> IMAP Server Address: 127.0.0.1
> SMTP Server Address: 127.0.0.1
> Server side sorting is enabled
> Server side thread sorting is disabled
> register_globals are off for my installation, but they are on for the
> rest of the server
> Many plugins, including: Auto Complete; Folder Synch; Select Range; etc.
>
> I was looking for some comparison between Sendmail and SMTP for sending
> outgoing mail from the server? Are there advantages of one over the other,
> or disadvantages? Are there reasons why I should use one rather than the
> other for SquirrelMail?
>
> Paul and WJCarpenter replied, and I have some follow-up questions to their
> replies.
>
> On 9/26/06, WJCarpenter <bill-squirrelmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > With sendmail, you probably get a mild efficiency improvement.
> >
> > With sendmail, you probably get a boatload of generally tolerable
> > quirky behavior.
>
> Is there anything that would affect me as an SM user or SM administrator?
> (I am not the server admin, which is run by my web host.)
>
> I have been using SMTP for years, but recently I switched to Sendmail
> because it seems to solve or at least workaround a problem that was
> occurring when using SMTP.
>

> On 9/26/06, Paul Lesniewski <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I am partial to SMTP because you get immediate feedback (on the
> > compose screen) for some types (certainly not all) of errant mails
>
> Agreed, that is a nice benefit, although not a "deal breaker" for me.
>
> > SMTP is really nice if you do things like set up a specific port for
> > your webmail senders in Postfix for which a different set of
> > restrictions/filters is applicable compared to your outward-facing
> > SMTP service/port.
>
> I don't do any of that. I simply need a way for SquirrelMail to send
> outgoing mail. Is there any reason I should avoid using Sendmail and
> instead try to uncover the source of the problem so that I can return to
> using SMTP? Or for my use, is Sendmail just as good as SMTP?

It's always good to figure out what the source of your problem is, but
if it's out of your control and you don't see any funky behavior or
slower performance or other adverse effects, then Sendmail is fine --
that's why both options are there in the end -- they both work
reasonably well.