Re: [Fwd: query abt message read n delivered]

> Dear All,
>
> I have a doubt on the following . hope u excuse me for being silly
>
> when i compose a mail i have 2 check boxes
>
> 1 On Read
>
> 2 On Delivery
>
> when i send to another user in the same domain and if i have checked both
> the boxes i dont get any information when the mail gets delivered
>
> and when the user opens the mail and opens the delivered mail it ask a
> question askin to acknoledge receipt to the sender .
> only if the recipent clicks accept the sender is notified else no
>
> now i would like to know 2 things
>
> 1) why there is no mail back to the sender if the mail is delivered even
> though the sender has checked the box .. ON DELIVARY n if theres a way to
> do it
>
> 2) is there a way to hide to acknolegdement message but the sender is
> notified when the mail is opened by the recipent

Notification on delivery requires special setup on email server. It is
unstable and usually does not work, because:

a) SquirrelMail uses header specific to Sendmail and header works only in
some sendmail versions. Other sendmail versions ignore that header or
don't enable notification on delivery functions.

b) SquirrelMail does not use standard DSN protocol (rfc3461, feature
request #1001425) and DSN extension is supported only by some servers.

c) Notification on delivery violates user's privacy and can be used by
spammers to check for valid email accounts.

Feature request for automatic MDN uses #1115425 tracker. See also reason c
in comments about notification on delivery.

http://sourceforge.net/support/tracker.php?aid=1001425
http://sourceforge.net/support/tracker.php?aid=1115425

--
Tomas