Re: Password changing on its own? Is this possible?

Please reply on-list.  Please do not top-post.

> On 9/6/06, John Glynn <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Here's an odd one.  But maybe not...  Under 'options' > 'vacation message'
> > This error appears 6 times (see below) on top of each other at the top
> > of the browser.  Does this mean anything to anyone?
> >
> > ERROR:
> > Error: Unable to connect to FTP server. Please try again later.
>
> Does this mean anything to YOU?  It's plain English....
> I did not mean to be offensive by asking my question.  No, it does not mean
> anything to me nor is it plain English to me.  I am not trained at this sort
> of thing, or even close.  Making it up as I go.  I am just a web designer,
> which traditionally means I know nothing.  And that may be the problem, I
> may simply be too in the dark for Squirrel Mail.  I am willing to learn
> though.

It is in fact plain English, but what I am guessing you don't
understand is what/why/how an FTP server is involved....??

> > My specs:
> > Mail server: IMAP -  dovecot
> > PHP - 4.3.11
> > Web server - Apache  2.0.53
> > This is a stock installation of Redhat Fedora Core 3, which uses  RPM.
> > Squirrelmail version: 1.4.6
> > Web server:  Raid 5 windows 2003
>
> FTP server?  Is it running?  Watch your logs please.
>
> I do not inherently understand why ftp is needed at all for the vacation

Read the docs, etc.  If you installed the plugin, you should more or
less understand why it is needed.

> plugin, or how to find the log file which tells me the state of my ftp
> server.  FTP seems to be running fine as I can access it otherwise.

Depends on the FTP server, but you can start in /var/log/messages, and
then poke around in /var/log for other possible files.  Also might
need to look at the FTP server configuration to increase log
verbosity.  Alternatively, try to log in to the FTP server directly
with the same user/pwd as SM is using and see if it tells you why it
is not accepting connections.

> Thank you again for your time, Paul.

You're welcome.