Meaning of "no response"

Folks,

I have squirrelmail set up on my small, home-based server.  It runs very
nicely, and sits behind an authenticating proxy (squid) and filter
(dansguardian).  Clients (all 3 of them) access SM via a URL such as
http://192.168.0.2:8080/webmail/  where 8080 is actually the port on which
the filter is running.

The only problem that I have struck is in sending a message.  When we
click "send", the message actually sends, and a copy (if requested) is
dutifully deposited in the copies-to-self folder.  So in all practical
terms, it's fine.

HOWEVER, when we click send, the system "thinks" for a while (up to a
minute), and then something clearly gives up, because we get a "no reponse
from 192.168.0.2".  So I'm presuming there's a message along the lines of
"message sent" which is supposed to come up, but never does.

Now, this may be related to SM or my configuration thereof, or it may not.
 Another strange bit of behaviour (not in SM) is that accessing myphpadmin
via the same method (different path on the server, of course) happens at
speed so slow that it can only be called glacial, and eventually I get the
same message there, too.  All other intranet pages (and SM) load fine.

But I figure that someone with enough knowledge of SM's innards and what
is trying to talk to what in order to get the "message sent" response
would possibily be able to point me in the right direction.

Any clues, anyone?

Paul Chandler
pcha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ICQ: 54193141