Re: With squirrel mail, it seems to confuse Thunderbird

* On 05/08/06 16:28 +0200, Brent Clark wrote:
| Hi
|
| I would like to know if anyone else is or has experienced problems
| with Squirrel Mail and using Thunderbird on the same imap server
| (maildir format).
|
| I find that with squirrel mail, is seems to confuse Thunderbird as
| to where to drop Trash mail. Therefore my mail gets lost.
|
| If anyone else has experienced similar problems and / or fixed is,
| please could you advise me.

Hi Brent,

I use Squirrelmail in a large scale (11k users) setup as a front-end to
an IMAP server. I actually use courier-imap on this setup.
There are other setups I have done for customers where I use dovecot.

Squirrelmail is a _frontend_, to an IMAP server, just like Thunderbird
can be either a front-end to an IMAP server or POP3 server. Well, I
used Thunderbird ages ago, so I may not know much, but your problem,
in my own thinking, has got something to do with Thunderbird.

In an IMAP server. using Maildir++ compatibility, mail is organized
as:

Maildir/{cur,new,tmp}

cur - contains mail that has been accessed and marked as read.
new contains - unseen/unread mail
tmp - is a transitional directory, I believe.

If you create a folder, depending on the configuration or your client,
a directory .Folder_name/{cur,new,tmp) is created as a directory within
Maildir/. If you move mail to this folder, it get stored in .Folder/cur
(since you've "seen" the mail).

Now, squirrelmail allows you very fine-tuned configuration about your
folder layout, when you click on the "Folders" link.

I suspect that you have chosen a configuration in squirrelmail that
puts the mail in a folder where TB doesn't see it. Try to look at the
way you manage your folders using SM and also look deeply into TB's
options. I believe you've configured it in IMAP mode.

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington            		. WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
wash () WANANCHI ! com			. 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223			. # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121			. (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |
						 --from a /. post