sends it.  When the message is received by the recipient it reports the
From: address as joeuser@xxxxxxxxxxx

Luckily we were also able to get the full headers for this message and the
header showed that the SquirrelMail authenticated user was
bobuser@xxxxxxxxxx, but shows all the from info as joeuser@xxxxxxxxxxx

The mail logs also showed the message and reported all the activity as
from joeuser@xxxxxxxxxx

While researching this I found that this had happened at least one other
time before, and had been happening someone consistently for this third
user.  While troubleshooting they noticed their system clock was set to
1970 for some reason.  They set their clock to the correct time and it has
not happened since.

On a whim with this new case I had both bobuser and joeuser check their
system clocks and sure enough, one was set to 2001 and one was set to
1970.

Now, this seems Awfully strange to me and rather frustrating because I'd
really rather not have people sending mail from the wrong user and of
course I can't control what all of my users clocks are set to.

I'm suspecting it might be a session oddity and somehow when the date is
way off it is confusing the session expiration.  However, this really
doesn't seem to explain how they were getting someone else's prefs, at
least partially.

Has anyone else seen or heard of anything like this?

At the time of the report we were running apache 2.2.2 (now 2.2.3 because
of today's advisory), with php 5.1.3 and a patched version of SM 1.4.6 (I
will be upgrading SM on Monday to the true 1.4.7 version).  All of this
runs on FreeBSD 4.11.

Let me know what other information I can provide.

Thanks much.

Matt Ruzicka - Senior Systems Administrator
Front Range Internet, Inc.
matt@xxxxxxxx - (970) 212-0728