Re: Message filtering plugin

Please don't top-post, thanks.

> > > We are setting SquirrelMail up so that travelling users can access
> > > their mail.  All of our users are "virtual users" and thus do not have
> > > login accounts on the server, and therefore they can not use Procmail
> > > for filtering their mail.
> >
> > Yes they can.  The server side filters plugin serves as a front end to
> > your procmail user settings.
>
> I don't understand, everything that I've read about Procmail suggests
> that since virtual users don't have home accounts, you can't use
> Procmail to filter mail for them individually because there is no
> .procmailrc file to read.  I've actually got the same dilemna with
> vacation programs since the accounts are all virtual users and thus no
> .forward files can exist.  Are you saying that there's a way to
> implement per-user procmail settings when the users don't have home
> directories, just mail directories?

Yeeeah, that's *partly* true.  It depends on how spiffy your mail
server system is.  The general approach is to have a set of "virtual"
home directories that essentially mirror your maildirs.  If your
server software supports it, then you can put filter and vacation
files in those directories and away you go.  It's quite nice once you
figure it all out, but again, lots of "depends on your server
software".