Re: Migrating users from openwebmail to squirrelmail

On Fri, June 23, 2006 6:24 pm, Christopher J. Hinkle wrote:
> One unfortunately rather crucial step I overlooked in creating my new
> mail server with a nifty new webmail interface is the fact that I'd
> need to migrate my users' messages from one to the other.

> Does anyone know of an automated way (or even a not-so-automated way)
> to move users' saved messages (separate folders, named all sorts of
> things) from OpenWebMail to SquirrelMail?

What's the message storage used by OpenWebMail?  Does it interface
directly with the filesystem, via POP3, via IMAP, via something else?

If it's IMAP, there's nothing needed other than to point SquirrelMail
at the IMAP server.

If it's IMAP, but you want to migrate to another, separate, IMAP
server, have a look at the imapsync program.

If it's POP3, you can migrate the Inbox using the mail_fetch plugin.
Possibly even the other folders.  Depending on the POP3 server used,
you can probably even access it via IMAP (Courier and Cyrus both allow
this), then see above.

If it's direct filesystem access to Maildir or mbox, you'll have lots
of trouble.  :)

----
Freddie Cash, LPCI-1 CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73                    (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]
fcash-ml@xxxxxxxxxx