Search squid archive

Re: Squid traffic paths

On 2024-08-31 15:00, Scott Bates wrote:
The squid logs show traffic going to the expected destinations.

I assume that the above statement does _not_ talk about problematic traffic. In other words, Squid does handle some transactions, but not the problematic transactions you are asking about. I believe the above observation confirms part (a) of my working theory.

If I look at wireshark on one of the client systems I do see some http entries going to those destinations through the squid server.

OK, for the purpose of this email thread, ignore traffic going through the Squid server.

However most of the traffic (UDP / TCP) doesn't seem to be going through the squid server.

UDP: Squid does not proxy UDP-based protocols. If you want to proxy UDP, Squid is not the solution.

TCP: Squid can proxy HTTP/1 and FTP transactions (over TCP). Does that problematic TCP traffic in question contain HTTP or FTP transactions (i.e. originates from HTTP or FTP clients running on test VMs)? If not, then your existing "HTTP proxy configuration" on test VMs is probably not applicable -- the clients on those VMs probably ignore that HTTP proxy setting because they do not talk HTTP...

I'm not sure how to force all traffic to use squid on the client system.

I do not know enough about Windows to help you with this Squid-unrelated configuration, but please note that since Squid cannot proxy traffic other than HTTP and FTP, you probably do not want to force traffic other than HTTP and FTP through Squid. In other words, Squid is not a "universal" proxy that can proxy everything.

HTH,

Alex.